Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Ready Or Not, Here I Come

Apparently, there is a game of tag going on in the Diabetes Online Community (known to many of you as the "OC"). And, to my surprise, I've been tagged. From what I gather, if you are tagged, you are supposed to share five random facts. I presume that facts are supposed to be about me, rather than something like: The Michigan state rock is the Petoski Stone.

What is odd is that I really have no idea how this game of tag started, who started it, nor what the official rules are. Frankly, I didn't even know I had been tagged until I checked out my site logs for this blog and noticed several people arriving to my blog via Megan's blog.

From the looks of things, I'm also suppose to tag five people. I will state right now and up front that I won't do that. You have quite a pyramid going if you have every individual tag five people. Also, I'm not entirely sure if those who you are supposed to tag are also supposed to be diabetics...or family of diabetics.

Still, the idea of sharing five random facts about myself is, I suppose, an intriguing topic for a blog, so I figured I could participate in that aspect at the very least. And I'll try hard to make these five facts things you don't already know about me. So, here goes.

  1. I have incredibly dry skin. Always have. So dry, in fact, that my wife has said I feel a bit like sandpaper. In the winter weather, it is even worse. As a result, I've considered buying stock in all the companies that make body lotion.
  2. At one time in my life, I wanted to learn to play the piano portion to Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue, which happens to be my all-time favorite piano concerto. The problem was getting ahold of the music. My piano teacher had a solo version, which didn't need the orchestra, but it was beyond me because you then had to learn both the piano and orchestral parts. My band director said he would be willing to do it if I could learn the piano part...but he wouldn't buy the music (including the piano part) until I learned it. Rather a catch-22. Needless to say, I never learned to play it.
  3. Broccoli is my favorite vegetable. But there was a time in my life when I wouldn't even look at the stuff. Prior to being diagnosed with diabetes, the selection of food that tasted good to me was practially nothing. Within six months of getting my diabetes under control, my taste for food branched out about a hundred-fold.
  4. I was a major geek in my high school days. I choose the word geek over nerd, however, because in order to be a nerd, I would have had to look the part. Definitely a geek, though. I was involved in a ton of school activities, including the Writer's Club, and was finished with all the math classes my high school had to offer by the end of the eleventh grade. But then I went on to college...where I was in a sea of geeks, which meant I was no longer anything special. Academically, that is.
  5. After ten years of marriage, I'm still madly in love with my wife. I know, this one isn't really a secret, but it is something that can never be expressed enough...so now is as good a time as any to say it.
There you have it. My five random facts. And in lieu of actually tagging five additional people, I'll just say, "Ready or not, here I come!"

9 comments:

Allison said...

Tags are like chain letters. Someone starts them and then they just Go. Kind of amazing, huh? I think Julia, over at Major Bedhead, got tagged from one of her non-D friends and then spread it through Kerri, etc.

You can tag anyone you want. This isn't an O.C. thing, it just got spread through us because of Julia.

Shame on you for not spreading the tag-ness! You're ruining the fun by stopping the game.

Kerri. said...

I like your fifth fact in particular. Very sweet.

Though your first fact flaked me out a little bit...

.. I'm not known for puns.

Megan said...

I wasn't sure who started it, but I think it has spread through most of the OC now. I tried to pick people who have not been tagged yet to tag, and your blog is one I read regularly, so that is how you got tagged.

Megan said...

BTW, how exactly does one see their site logs?

Allison said...

Megan - You have to have a counter installed on your blog. That is how you can see how many people are visiting and where they are coming from. I am currently employing sitemeter.com (after firing statcounter.com for lousy readability). I don't think any counter is 100% accurate, but it does give a fair estimation of how much traffic you get and where people find you.

And for the record: no one has tagged me and it's PISSING me off! I think I ramble about too many random life tidbits for people to inquire for anymore.

RyanBruner said...

Now, Allison, that explains why you said I'm ruining the fun, eh? You WANT to be tagged!

Megan: Allison is correct. You have to use some kind of statistics software. I use statcounter (which is what Allison said she doesn't like...but I like it). It is free. You have to register, and then you set up a project. Finally, you have to cut/paste the code they provide into the template you use for your blog or website. Once it is in place, statcounter (or whoever you choose to provide stats) will log your hits. You can include a counter on the bottom of your page as well, but I personally find counters somewhat cheesy (no offense to those who use them) because they don't say much, but are like an attempt to brag at how many people have seen your site (or how few, I suppose, depending on how many people really HAVE seen your site).

Hmm. That's probably more information than you care to know.

Megan said...

I'm too lazy to figure out the html for this, so does it matter where I copy and paste it to? I tried one already, and it didn't show up on my blog (or does it not show up?). So I figured I copied and pasted it to the wrong place.

RyanBruner said...

Megan:

It doesn't necessarily show anything on the page itself, depending on how you configured the statcounter. But, when you go to your statcounter account, you should see the page loads being logged.

However, you could have configured the statcounter to show a counter and/or statcounter icon.

The best place to put it is at the very bottom of your blog template, just above the </body> tag.

Megan said...

Got it to work, thanks.