Wednesday, March 15, 2006

What's Up With Your Fingers?

I've been told that blogging about the stats of those viewing your own blog is really dredging the bottom of the barrel of topics to cover. But I'll admit, I'm fascinated with the stats. I'm fascinated to find out that the moment I make a post, several complete strangers happen to find my blog with blogs of their own which are nothing but advertisements. (This, I've read, is affectionally called splogs, or spam blogs.) I'm fascinated to find out which areas of the world people think I actually have something interesting to blog about. (As it turns out, not many.) And right now, I'm fascinated at how much of an epidemic, apparently, numb fingertips are.

In the past two or three weeks, I think I've had more people find my blog because they were searching for "numb fingertips" than any other reason. You see, I had blogged about the fact that I had numb fingertips a couple months ago. It was a short-lived ailment. I woke up one morning unable to feel the fingers on my left hand. It lasted through the day, and into the next day. By the time the weekend was over, they were fine again, and I haven't had a problem since.

I had discussed the matter with a colleague and friend of mine, who said that what can happen is if you lay on your arm wrong, it can cause inflammation that temporarily pinches the nerve. The condition is, well, temporary. And was certainly the case for me.

But there are times it isn't. Numb fingertips can be the sign of something more serious, including, but not limited to, various repetitive strain injuries. So, the fact that so many people are reading my blog entry on numb fingertips does have me concerned. Nor for myself, but at just how prevalent the problem apparently has become. And why now? Why in the past few weeks? Before now, there was an occasional search on "numb fingertips". But today, I'm getting several hits per day.

I have no answers. But it is an example of the kind of thing I think about when looking at my blog stats. And, of course, now that I'm writing this next entry on the same topic, I expect even more hits.

7 comments:

alau said...

Actually, I found your blog via Agent Kristin's Pub Rants :)

Penny said...

I've notice a lot of people finding my blog lately because they are searching for Adam Morrison info. I've mentioned him in my blog a few times. They don't call it March Madness for nothing I guess.

Anonymous said...

I was looking for the numb finger tip problem, as i am also a diabetic, whom happend to wake a couple of mornings this last month with numb finger tips on my left hand. Further more i get the knee issue??

Anonymous said...

i found this looking for numb fingertips as one day whilst using scissors i noticed my fingertip on my index finger suddenly became numb, im hoping this is just a temporary trapped nerve and will subside in due course. Fingers crossed! peace

Anonymous said...

Numb finger tips...

I think the sleeping on the wrong side must have caused it but I have had this happen before.

Erin O'Brien said...

Dude. You are way cool to worry about all us dorks out here with numb fingers. I hate to go to the doc. Who knows? Maybe I will.

What could be worse than listening to some broad gas on about her dumb numb finger?

If you want to come to my blog, I am a writer in Cleveland, Ohio and it is cool.

Luis Garcia said...

I found some consolation in this blog, since right now I have two numb fingers on my left hand. I noticed it just after waking up. So I guess it has something to do with the position I slept. I also have my left arm wrapped - thoug not tightly - at the elbow, since I donated blood the day before. Not sure if it had any influence. i am bit worry. I hope it will come back after the weekend, just as in your example.