Monday, March 20, 2006

Much Ado About Nothing

Today is another day of miscellaneous meanderings of my mind, so be forewarned.

First off, in my endeavor to be a world-famous, multi-million-dollar-earning author, I had an interesting week. I mentioned the acceptance of my short story for publication, which is a first for me. But that was soon followed up with a rejection letter for another short story, two rejections from agents I had sent query letters to, and then a rejection on one of the four partials I had out for my book. Lesson learned? The next time I receive an acceptance for something, I'll expect another series of mass rejections! But, I'm an altogether positive person. Chin up, keep smiling, and move on. I guess.

Second, this morning, I unpacked all the boxes in my new office and moved in. My work decided to move me (well, and about 200 other employees) to a new building in a new location. It's nice, actually. My drive time to work was cut from forty plus minutes to seventeen. It's a newly built, state-of-the-art building with VOIP phone lines and windows. Yes, windows. My old building...actually, the past two buildings I've worked in...I could only tell you what the weather was like outside by heading over to www.weather.com. Here, however, I can see the sky from where I sit. If I stand, I get a lovely view of the wall of the adjacent building in one direction, and an even lovelier view of the parking lot in the other direction.

But not everything is all rosy. You see, the move was a trick. Another cost-savings technique. Because we have considerably smaller cubes now. Actually, you can't call them cubes. Perhaps hexes would be better. Or semi-hexes, because they sort of have this honeycomb shape to them. I think, however, I'll continue calling them cubicles since I fear I would get funny looks if I told people I worked in a hex.

Third...well, as it turns out, I don't have a third thing to say today. Or rather, I can't remember what the third thing I wanted to say was, so I guess you're safe from having to read more. For now.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.