Friday, December 02, 2005

About Last Night

A few days ago, my wife informed me that she was kicking me out of the house on Thursday night (last night) at 7:00, and I wasn't allowed back until after 10:00. Perfect opportunity to do some writing, I thought. And, in fact, I was really into my writing last night. I had solidified two scenes in my head that I wanted to finish. For those of you who are writers, you know those times when you just are "in the flow"? Well, that's where I was last night.

Forty minutes later, my laptop informed me that the battery was almost dead, and proceeded to shut down for me. As it turns out, I had forgotten to plug in the laptop overnight. So, there I was, ideas spewing and no way to capture them. And I couldn't go home, by order of the Queen. I drove around, visiting four stores (but buying nothing) and at one point tempted to go see Harry Potter at the theatre a second time, but by myself.

I then made a trip out to Barnes and Noble. You see, it turns out one of my writer friends from Backspace had her book published already, and I hadn't realized it until yesterday. So, I thought I'd take the opportunity to go buy it. Unfortunately, they didn't have it in the store. But, no problem. I can still order it on-line. (And so can you, by the way. Key to Aten by Lynn Sinclair.)

So, by the time I got home, it was a fairly unproductive night...except for those forty minutes. Still, I managed to get another thirty minutes or so in at home, which is good. Then, rather than going to bed...I ended up staying up until 12:30 because the most important television event in ten years happened last night. Oprah Winfrey was a guest on David Letterman! I couldn't miss that, as I'm sure you couldn't either. Quite possibly more significant than when they televised the landing on the moon.

Anyhow, that's my night in a nutshell. And if you are still reading this far...you apparently have less of a life than I do!

And now...onto my thankful moment. I'm thankful for Microsoft Word's autosave feature, for it prevented the loss of some particularly good writing last night (if I do say so myself...just don't ask me what I think when I re-read it in a few days).