Thursday, September 08, 2005

On becoming funny

Hello, one and all. I've been part of the on-line world since, well, before the World Wide Web even existed. Yet, in the past fourteen years, I've never really entered the world of the Blog. But, last night, I went to a book signing by an on-line friend, Melanie Lynne Hauser, author of Confessions of Super Mom. She is hysterical, and funny, and she made me laugh. Sure, I know, that's redundant...but you wouldn't think so were you to see her in person.

Anyhow, I happened to meet one of Melanie's friends, who is known in the blogging world as Bookworm. My interest piqued, I decided to give the whole blogging thing a try.

So, is what I have to say worth reading? Who knows! But, as I'm currently working on my very first novel, I hope so.

Which brings me to the topic at hand: On becoming funny. I'm the first to admit, I'm not a funny guy. I'm serious, analytical, and (some might say) I can be downright annoying at times. I'm working on that. (Being analytical, that is.) Anyhow, I decided I really need to work on my funny bone...and, well, the gallons of milk I drink each week aren't doing it.

With the help of some particularly funny folks, including advice from fellow author-wannabe Keith Cronin (one of the funniest guys I know), I'm on a mission to become funny. Uh. No, not funny looking. I'm already funny looking. I just mean funny.

So, you may have to bear with me as I deal with this deficiency of mine. I may attempt jokes and humor that just plain stinks. If I do, whack me over the head with a stick.

Enough for now. I'm not funny yet. I'll also keep you up to date on how my writing is going in a future post.

9 comments:

Julie said...

Welcome to blogdom, Ryan!

So, I have a question for you. Besides Melanie, who are your favorite funny writers?

RyanBruner said...

Thanks, Julie.

Hmm. Well, I will have to say that the most recent book I've read that made me laugh out loud was The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus. Of course, it made me cry as well. Great book!

Aside from that...I'll have to think.

Ovation Leader said...

Ryan under-estimates his funny-ness. I'm another wannabe author who often cracks up at some of the posts he writes to our online writer's group. (And I mean this in a very good and funny way.)

Here's a good way to judge real funnyness: Ask your kids. Kids are the most honest people in the world. If it ain't funny, they don't laugh!

Good luck, have fun, and be blessed in the blogosphere.

Manic Mom said...

Found your blog from Melanie. I had the great opp to meet her too, as we live in the same area, and I blogged about the experience too. Blogging is great fun, therapeutic, and not just a waste of time for us writers! It gets the mind going, whether we're blogging about fake poo for four year olds (as I've recently done), or the books we are writing! Cheers and good luck to ya!

RyanBruner said...

Thanks manic_mom and ovation_leader for checking me out. Or, I mean, looking me over. Hmm.

Well, thanks for visiting. Now I can pretend people actually care!

B. K. Birch said...

Welcome to blog land!

BK (from BS)

Heather Brewer said...

I agree completely with Ovation Leader--Ryan is one funny guy. He just doesn't realize it yet.

Welcome to the Blogiverse, Ryan!

Martha O'Connor said...

Welcome to blogging!

RyanBruner said...

Thanks to my fellow Backspacians, BK, Heather, and Martha, for your hearty welcomes. (And I suppose this means I'll have to go read your blogs as well now, eh?)