Saturday, September 10, 2005

Alas, there is hope

It has been suggested by a couple of the comments that I am, in fact, over-exaggerating my lack of funniness. Frankly, I agree. I can be funny.

My problem is that for every time I succeed at being funny, there are about ten times I try but fail. Plus, the times I'm funny really aren't much use in my writing.

The first thing I need to do is analyze. That's what I do best. When I originally posted the question about how to become funny on the world's greatest forum for writers, Backspace, there were two main responses.

  1. That humor is in-born, part of your personality DNA, and therefore any attempt to try to be funny will be instantly noticed and, therefore, fail.
  2. If you're not funny now, you can't ever learn to be.

Hmm. After careful analysis of both views, I discovered they mean the same thing. So, does this mean I'm destined to a life without humor? Of looks of utter embarrassment for me from my wife when she realizes I had just said something that was supposed to be funny?

But, alas, there is hope. It turns out I'm not totally humorless. I actually enjoy various forms of humor myself, as well as, on occasion, manage to make people laugh. The trick, it seems, will be in figuring how how to utilize my strengths and avoid my weaknesses in this area.

So, next time, I guess I'll examine various forms of humor, and determine which one I'm strong at. (Or, at least, the one I'm the least weak at!)

Until next time, keep laughing!