Monday, February 13, 2006

Miscellany, and Other Stuff

So, we're three days into the Olympics. Well, four...but since we only watch it during prime time, three. There seems to be a contest going on in our house as to who can stay up for everything. Next to my wife and myself, my oldest son is really the only contender. While my six-year-old makes every best effort, he just can't seem to make it past ten o'clock. It was rather funny, actually, when I woke him up and he wouldn't admit that he fell asleep. Nevermind he missed half of the events, including both times the U.S. took home a gold medal. He wasn't asleep. Really.

One thing watching the Games this year has taught me is that I'm ancient. It is a term that, even as a child, only applied to those who were in their 80s. But we were watching the Women's Mogul event, and they referred to one of the Americans as "ancient" because she was 31. Hmm. I'm 32. And then I watched as 19-year-old Shaun White ("The Flying Tomato") took home a gold. I'm used to seeing such youth in Gymnastics...but why is it that more and more of these world's greatest athletes seem like kids to me? Being 32 is not old. Right?

Speaking of getting old...I was realizing the other day as I started to write another short story that my reading tastes have changed since my teen and college-aged years. I used to read science fiction and fantasy almost exclusively. Today, while I still enjoy writing science fiction, I find I read it very rarely. I think it has been two years since I've read a science fiction book. Does this mean I'm "growing up"? I hope not.

When I was in college, I lived with my parents in an apartment just off campus. I was home watching an episode of Star Trek:The Next Generation...which, by the way, I eventually gave up for Babylon 5. Anyhow, my mom came up behind me, leaning over the couch watching a scene with Worf. Not even a full minute passed, and she turned to me and said, "You know, Ryan, that's not real...don't you?"

Well, yes, Mom. That's why it is called science fiction. I can only hope I don't do the same thing to my own kids a few years from now. I mean, after all, I'm ancient, soon to be downright prehistoric. We didn't have all these newfangled gizmos back in the caves where I spent my childhood.

As you can see from the title of this post, I'm in a rather "random thought" mood today. Hopefully I'll have something more coherant to write about next time!