Thursday, October 06, 2005

Life as President

Have you ever wondered what life would be like as President? Just consider what our latest contestant in the political game has had to deal with. An unprecedented terrorist attack. An unprecedented hurricane (or two). War. Oh, and most significantly, constant belittling from David Letterman.

But, whatever. That's all in the life of a President, right? The part that, to me, would be the most difficult thing to live with is how every choice, every action, or every lack of action, is scrutinized, criticized, and jazzercized. (Okay, so I couldn't think of another -ized word that fit.)

On top of that, no matter what decision you make, it will always be the wrong decision to someone. It certainly takes a thick skin. I wouldn't have what it takes, even if I were politically minded.

Yet, I can't help but realize that I am President. Not for a country. But for a family. Everything I do is scrutinized by my family. And while I may have the power to restrict free speech on the matter, it is sobering to realize that my actions or my lack of actions, my choices, whether right or wrong, matter. They are noticed. They are shaping the citizens of my household.

I don't have the luxury to be myself first, or do what benefits me or my Vice President exclusively. Because how my kids turn out as adults is directly related to how I govern today.

If I exhibit poor fiscal responsibility, that is what my kids will learn to do as well.

If I react with violence, or anger, or even just yelling, that is what my kids will model.

If I fail to teach them proper health care, or provide a poor education, they will suffer.

And my kids aren't even teens yet. That scrutiny will eventually turn into criticism. So I better have the right answers for the choices I make when it comes time for that parental press conference.

Life as President of the Bruner Family Household is a big responsibility. No reelections, no term limits. My constituency is counting on me for life.