Sunday, October 30, 2005

Lessons from DST

Don't forget to change the time on your insulin pump as a result of Daylight Savings Time.

I learned a lesson this year. You see, last week, our local Fire Department decided to do something really nice. They put out this huge sign helping us to remember to change our clocks back for DST. So, last week, before going to bed, did just that. Which was nice, because the next day, the ensemble I sing in was scheduled to do a sound check forty-five minutes before our 9:30 am church service began. The extra hour helped offset the need to get to church earlier.

So, I pulled into the parking lot really amazed at just how many people were there at church early. I chalked it up to the fact that a lot of people must have forgotten to set their clocks back. Why else would the parking lot be full. Still, there was this gnawing at my gut that something went wrong.

I led the troops (aka, my kids) into the building, amazed that the nursery staff was already working.

"What are you all doing here?" I asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, didn't you set your clocks back?"

"That's next week, Ryan."

Oh. And, as I heard the music coming from the auditorium, I now realized I missed our sound check. I had that horrible feeling, like the feeling I got when I would wake up for school, and realized that the bus should be arriving at the bus stop in exactly 1 minute, and I'm not even out of bed yet!

It all worked out in the end, though. We sang in all three services...although we never did get the sound right...and no one other than the other five singers knew about our little test-run of the DST. And I learned something. Beyond learning that you Fall Back and Spring Forward (which I already knew)...I also learned not to trust the Fire Department! Because DST falls on the last Sunday of the month!