Monday, June 19, 2006

I Didn't Finish. Sigh.

This week is all about church. Not for you, perhaps...but for me. It started on Sunday, which is usually about church anyhow. Except that instead of going from our worship service to our bible school class, my wife and I had to sub in the three year old room. (Although technically, everyone in the class has already turned four.)

Unlike the twos, which my wife and I used to "teach" (which is frankly a gross misrepresentation of what you do with two-year-olds..."babysit" would be a more appropriate term), the threes actually know how to play together. They also know how to turn moody quicker than scat (my new favorite phrase after hearing it on an episode of Little House on the Prairie).

But I discovered something the threes also like to do. They like to play games that they honestly believe is a game, but really is a manipulative technique to get them to be quiet. Simply, I called the game, "The Quiet Game." The goal? To see who can be absolutely silent the longest. Surprisingly, they absolutely loved the game. So much so that when we were all done, they insisted we continue playing it. All the better for my sensitive ears!

So that was Sunday. So, you may be wondering, what's up with the rest of the week, then? (And if you weren't wondering, then this is a gentle nudge for you to wake up and pay attention!)

Three letters. V. B. S. (That's Vacation Bible School for those of you who should know, but don't because you don't go to church. Tsk tsk tsk.) Anyway, yes, it's that time of year...at least at our church. And this year, our church is being transformed in a Jerusalem Marketplace. Kind of cool, actually. There has been a team of guys working for several weeks chopping down some brush and building shops along the side of the church. Looks wonderful. Except now they are predicting rain all week, which means it was likely a waste of effort because everything will have to be moved inside.

My role in this? Well, I do have a part to play. Even had to make myself a costume. I spent hours and hours cutting out patterns and sewing them together. Then, eventually my wife took over because I'm just too slow.

But I have my costume, so I'm set.

I doubt anyone cares about this. But I thought I should mention it when I came to the part where you feel sorry for me. You see, several weeks ago, I had an agent express some interest in my manuscript. However, she had some "concerns". After chatting on the phone for a while, I came away with a list of things that could make the manuscript better. She wants to see the manuscript again after I make said changes.

So, I've been working diligently, and I'm almost done. My goal was to be done by yesterday. Why? Well, because I'll be busy every day this week with VBS. And then nearly all of my family is coming in from out of state to celebrate my parent's 50th Anniversary. That's twenty-nine people, counting five of my siblings, their spouses, and their kids, plus my parents.

As you can imagine, I won't have time to do anymore editing for a while. But, unfortunately, I didn't finish. I still have about fifty pages to go. (That's editing, not writing.) So, now do you feel sorry for me?

No? Okay...well what if I told you that I also had a broken leg, back pain, and recovering from malaria? Would you feel sorry for me then? Of course, I don't have a broken leg, back pain, nor did I have malaria...I was just wondering at what point do you actually start to care is all.