Monday, October 08, 2007

Shedding Light on His Dark Materials

I received a new book in the mail this weekend, co-authored by none other than my own brother, Kurt Bruner. Kurt has a bunch of books to his credit, including several co-authored with Jim Ware (Finding God in the Lord of the Rings being the most popular.)

My brother writes Christian non-fiction, so perhaps that's not your cup of tea. If it is, however, then his new book might be right up your ally. It focuses on Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials fantasy trilogy.

At this point, I can't tell you, first hand, much about the book. For one, I've never read the His Dark Materials trilogy. And two, I've not yet read Kurt's book about His Dark Materials. But, since it just came out, and there is an upcoming movie based on the first book in the series, I thought I'd bring it to your attention.

What this means for me, of course, is that I'll have to go read Philip Pullman's books and then read Kurt's book. So, give me about four months to get back to you. Or just go buy Kurt's book without waiting for me. Either works.

The book is titled Shedding Light on His Dark Materials, by Kurt Bruner and Jim Ware.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's about time some person tried to dive into that book from a Christian perspective. How could an anti-Christian show any proof of God's love? This intrigues me. Congrats! Must be cool to have a brother who is a published author.

snow angel said...

http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

I never thought that people could be so brain dead. When I first saw previews for The Golden Compass I thought WOW! Another movie with Nicole Kidman. Then I looked up this movie and I found out that it is an atheistic movie. So now I feel that it is using subjective messages to get the youth to think that bashing God is alright. ITS NOT! Phillip Pullman, author of His Dark Materials trilogy, main objective is to bash Christianity and promote atheism.

Hadi Inja said...

I have to write an extendedd essay on the His Dark Materils trilogy and its linkage to god, so i was wondering if this book ur brother wrote was worth reading for me to understand the religious side of the trilogy. I've heard of the Shedding light on his dark materials book, and i just want to know if its woth buying it, since i need a book to help me analyze the trilogy...well, its been 4 months, so PLEASE HELP ME!!

please email me at hadi_inja@hotmail.com

RyanBruner said...

Well, of COURSE it's worth buying. (It's written by my brother, after all!)

Whether it will serve what you need? Hard to say. Kurt's books aren't necessarily in the form you might expect. The best I can say is check it out. It might help. It might not. Hard to know.

You can read more about it here: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=315645&netp_id=485190&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=details