Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Health Update

I had my endo visit yesterday. I'm officially still alive. That's the good news. The better news is that I'm officially still healthy as well.

The bad news? Well, my A1c went from 6.4 to 6.6. I'm not really complaining, as you can imagine. Only thing left is to find out if I managed to drop my LDL levels, which I should find out tomorrow.

Last time, my endo wanted to stick me on a statin. My LDL was above 100 for the first time. So, what do you do when that happens? Throw someone on a drug. Thing is, I should have expected it. My eating habits had grown considerably less healthy. The fact that I had gained close to 10 lbs. should have been an indicator. So, I told him that I'd rather go back to the healthy eating thing first. He was hesitant, until I pointed out that my LDL rose from something like 87 to 117 in six months. I told him I had been eating a lot of Mickey Ds for breakfast, and pizza slices for lunch (since that is the cheapest food I can get at my work cafeteria).

So, in the past several months, I've cut my intake of pizza and breakfast burritos with hashbrowns dramatically. I also increased my intake of high-fiber cereals, as well as veggies. I could do even more, if necessary. I mean, I haven't eliminate those things entirely. But I would say I'm considerably more moderate about those things, while increasing my healthy eating.

Needless to say, I'm anxious to find out my "score" in the cholesterol arena.

Why the big deal? Well, it turns out that your cholesterol level is a stronger indicator of diabetes-related heart complications than your A1c. You could have an A1c of 5.0, but still end up with a heart attack if you don't keep your LDL levels down.

Oh, and my weight is down, too, which is good. Seems I'm doing the right things. I'll let you know how I faired once the results are in.