Friday, September 09, 2005

Is this thing on?

I was fairly overwhelmed yesterday after my first post on the blogging frontier trail. I received four...count them with me...one, two, three, four comments! (Never mind that one of the comments was my own.) So, there's three people who won't be coming back...

As for the rest of you first-time visitors, I thought I should explain something. I have no intention of writing humor. I mean, really, I rarely even read humor. I'm more of a speculative fiction kinda guy, but I also venture out into a few literary works, young adult books, memoirs, thrillers, and a bunch of other stuff. But, anything that is found on a bookshelf labeled "Humor" I just would never pick up. Not that I don't enjoy humor. I'm human, after all. But it isn't my preferred genre.

I'm actually halfway through editing my first book, which is a young-adult fantasy. Not like Harry Potter. But school-aged kids with some supernatural abilities. (Okay...it's kind of like Harry Potter...but what isn't these days?)

So, why am I trying to become funny? Well, glad you asked. You see, as I mentioned in my previous post, I'm a rather serious guy. The subject matter I write tends to be darker in nature. If I don't manage to make one of my characters cry, I don't feel I'm doing my job. But, like any good book, I need comic relief. At the moment, there is none. Well...there was that one scene, but I ended up yanking it.

And that's where I'm at. I have a really good, really exciting book, with the potential for at least three more books to follow in a series...but very little humor (e.g., none). My goal, then, is to be able to work in humor seemlessly and expertly as a writer who, frankly, fails miserably at this currently. (Hmm. Five -ly adverbs in a single sentence. Isn't that a no-no?)

I'll keep you all updated how it is going. (Now, it's time to find some new readers here, as you all reading this now likely won't return.)